In October 2015 the Government of Pakistan launched the SDGs in Pakistan and formally adopted them through a unanimous resolution passed in National Assembly to adopt the 2030 Agenda as a National Development Agenda. In order to take forward the implementation of 2030 Agenda, UNDP Pakistan, the Planning Commission and Provincial Planning and Development Departments have launched a national initiative on SDGs focusing on the following four outputs: Plans, policies and resource allocation aligned to 2030 Agenda Monitoring, reporting and evaluation capacities strengthened innovative approaches applied to accelerate progress on priority SDGs Financing flows aligned to 2030 Agenda. Under the project, SDG Support Units are being established at federal level in Planning Commission and with all the provinces and regions in the Planning & Development Departments.
The Agenda 2030 based on a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change challenges is underpinned by a strong commitment to ‘eave no one behind and to reach the furthest behind first. It recognizes the multi-dimensional nature of poverty and inequality and provides a framework that comprehensively addresses all dimensions of well- being.
The Sindh SDG Support Unit is operational and providing support to Sindh Government on the aforementioned outputs. To strengthen the advisory work, an Economic Policy Analyst is required to support the SDG Unit and P&DD in policy dialogue and reform using economic analysis and other tools to strengthen the advisory and planning work of the SDG Unit.
Project Manager (PM) for the Sindh SDG Support Unit. Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative, UNDP Development Policy Unit, and in close coordination with the concerned government official the Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring the direction of project activities and the achievement of project targets and results. S/he plans project activities and inputs, manages the day-to-day implementation of the project and supervises project experts and personnel. The PM will be based in the Planning and Development Department, Government of Sindh and will be responsible for ensuring that the project is managed in an effective and accountable manner and in close coordination with the Government. The Project Manager will supervise project team of project professional and support staff. S/he works in close collaboration with the UNDP CO and maintains effective working relationships with Government, donors and other key partners such as UN agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Ensure the direction of project activities and the achievement of project targets and results;
- Ensure and coordinate provision of high-quality technical advice, building of partnerships and mobilize resources for the project;
- Ensure provision of top quality and innovative strategic planning and policy advisory services to the Planning & Development Department and facilitation of capacity development and knowledge building and management in support of provincial priorities and the plans Ensure day-to-day management of the project;
- Gender mainstreaming;
- Ensures the direction of project activities and the achievement of project targets and results, by focusing on the following results:
- In accordance with the Project Document and in close coordination with Government counterpart, plan and develop project Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and establish annual targets and approval by Project Technical Committee and Project Board (PB) according to UNDP CO timelines.
- Design project budget. Ensure that AWP activities suggested are in line with the overall direction set by the Project Document and lead to achievements of project targets and results.
- Implement project governance arrangements. Ensure organization of Project Technical Committee (PTC) and Project Board (PB) meetings and ensure timely preparation of agenda, background materials to agenda items and minutes as per UNDP CO and P&DD SOPs.
- Oversee and coordinate development and formulation of detailed implementation plans, procurement and human resources, communication and risk management plans for the Project. Coordinate and ensure timely updates of all planning instruments in close collaboration with relevant units of UNDP CO and senior management of the Planning and Development Department (P&DD).
- Assess project impact and oversee the appropriateness and accuracy of methods used to verify progress and results.
- Establish adequate monitoring procedures and systems throughout project activities in close collaboration with the UNDP Strategic Management Unit (SMU). Ensure that adequate systems are in place (UNDP corporate planning system, STAR and Atlas) to gather data and information for project monitoring and that systematic monitoring of project progress against targets is undertaken, including regular field trips for monitoring purposes. Develop innovative improvements to enhance performance of the project.
- Ensure that Planning and Development Department, Government of Sindh and UNDP´s results-management systems are kept updated for project results-information including ATLAS project management module.
- Manage the accurate and timely high-quality results reporting on the progress of the project and achievement of annual targets to the Project Board and donors. Ensure that donor and UNDP reports are prepared according to UNDPs SOPs, quality standards and in line with the contractual obligations to project donors. Ensure that all internal and external reports are submitted by deadlines.
- Coordinate and prepare ad hoc thematic and substantive reports/analysis/briefs.
- Report progress of project to the Project Technical Committee (PTC) and Project Board (PB), and ensure the fulfilment of PTC & PB directives.
2)Ensures and coordinates provision of high-quality technical advice, building of partnerships and mobilizing resources for the project, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordinate, provide high quality technical inputs and oversight to SDG Core and cluster groups (Social, Economic, Environmental and Governance &Inclusivity).
- Coordinate and support the meeting of all the cluster groups (members will include senior officials from departments, UN Agencies, private and experts) that have been formed to develop SDGs Framework and to subsequent progress monitoring of the plan.
- Provide high quality technical inputs to the technical experts/ cluster leads to highlight cross-cutting issues among the cluster groups to facilitate “whole of government approach”.
- Design, undertake (with in-house expertise) and outsource (engaging experts and think tanks) research for detailed background analysis. Collate and present information and data on social and economic priorities of the province. Prepare short status notes for use of the cluster groups;
- Support the creation of an action plan for roll out of the SDGs framework for Sindh including linking it to the process of budgeting;
- Support the development of SDG indicator framework and aligning it to Sindh data and M&E systems for monitoring the provincial vision document;
- Suggest and prepare detailed concept notes for possible actions that will be identified to dovetail provincial development priorities with the SDG framework.
- Responsible for coordinating with the provincial and district department involved in the process, including, UN Agencies, Planning Commission and other technical agencies
- Coordination with UN agencies for best practices and technical experts that may be needed during the course of work by various cluster groups
- Establish, maintain and facilitate strategic and policy dialogue between project staff and CSOs, academia/ think tanks, donors and
- other stakeholders in project´s area of work.
- Provide inputs to UN coordination platforms and participate in meetings
- Lead resource mobilization for the project in close collaboration with UNDP Country Office. Develop funding proposals and concepts as requested.
3)Ensure provision of top quality and innovative strategic planning and policy advisory services to the Planning & Development Department and facilitation of capacity development and knowledge building and management in support of provincial priorities and the plans, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure that the Project systematically builds capacities of Implementing Partners and other national partners through introduction of innovation and best practices, access to knowledge and expertise and promotion of their application to project implementation.
- Contribute to the design of sensitization programmes and capacity building initiatives including for Government officials (provincial and district level) in the formulation of SDG-consistent policies, plans and programmes, including appropriate reporting frameworks at the sub-national level (Provincial SDG Progress Reports).
- Implement robust capacity development plan for Planning and Development department and key department at provincial and district level
- Promote teamwork, information sharing and collaboration within the Project Team and between the Project Team and the Project Partners.
- Ensure capturing and disseminations of lessons learnt during project implementation. - Promote skills development of project staff through coaching and mentoring
- Facilitate the Projects representation and/or participation in knowledge networks to draw on and share best practice and lessons learned.
- Undertake continuous scoping of the development landscape in the state for identifying opportunities for future work
- Collect, analyze and synthesize macro-economic and SDG-related information and best practices, with emphasis on gender, people with disabilities, the youth and other vulnerable groups and propose
- Capacity development options to relevant actors in the implementation of the provincial plans and other sector-specific plans and strategies.
- Provide substantive guidance to Sustainable Development Unit Team and ensure day-to-day management of the project, by focusing on the following results:
- Provide technical advisory support to the Sustainable Development Unit Team and especially with respect to SDGs localization through MAPS Approach.
- Develop ToRs/JDs for project staff positions. Oversee recruitment processes. Establish performance objectives and standards and ensure timely and appropriate feedback, guidance and support to ensure optimum performance. Undertake performance evaluation according to P&DD and UNDP´s policies and deadlines.
- Supervise and manage project personnel and consultants/ technical experts and thematic cluster leads.
- Manage and monitor the project risks. In collaboration with the technical project staff, identify new risks and update risk frameworks for consideration of the Project Board for decision on possible actions if required. Update the status of these risks by maintaining the project risks log.
- Ensure compliance of all actions and activities with organizational rules, regulations, policies, strategies and internal control mechanisms.
- Oversee the appropriate use of project funds as well as the consistent application of UNDP rules and regulations.
- Ensure appropriate management of project assets, attendance records and filing system.
- Implement audit recommendations for the project. Provide inputs to audit management responses. - Undertake project operational closure when needed.
- Gender Mainstreaming: Ensure gender is mainstreamed in all aspects of project activities
- Ensure gender aspects are integrated in all existing and new project proposals
- Ensure equal opportunities for female staff members of the project
- Contribute towards corporate efforts for gender parity by aligning project activities and plans accordingly
The incumbent of the position will uphold the non-discriminatory behavior and ensure that:
- Human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions.
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”.
- Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production.
- Differentiated needs of women and men are considered.
- Inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created.
- Necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings, etc.
Innovation Ability to make new and useful ideas work Level 5: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
Leadership Ability to persuade others to follow Level 5: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to removes barriers
People Management Ability to improve performance and satisfaction Level 5: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
Communication Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform Level 5: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
Delivery Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement Level 5: Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
Managing for Results
Plans and prioritizes work activities to meet desired results; Strategic approach to problem solving. Level 5: Originate Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Partnering & Networking Builds and sustains relationships with key constituents (internal/external/ bilateral/ multilateral/public/private; civil society); Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices Demonstrates ability to handle working relationships with senior officials, academics and technical experts. Level 5: Originate Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Job Knowledge & Experties Provide technical expertise and shares knowledge with staff Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit Keeps abreast of the new developments in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to development him/herself professionally Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments Level 5: Originate Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Gender Displays gender sensitivity and promotes gender equality in all aspects of work. Knowledge of systems for gender mainstreaming and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situation Level 5: Originate Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education:
- Master’s Degree preferably in Development, Public administration, Economics or and other related disciplines
Min. years of relevant Work experience:
- Minimum of 05 years’ relevant experience at the national or international level.
- Substantial experience in project management including development sector
- Knowledge of SDGs and development context, in particular experience in policy advisory services (preferred).
- Demonstrated experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, including writing reports
Required Language(s) (at working level):
- Excellent knowledge of English, and working knowledge of Urdu an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
HEC attested degrees are a prerequisite for employment at UNDP. During the recruitment process candidates may be required to present HEC attested degrees.
Foreign Qualified Candidates: Foreign degree holders shall be required to(i) Present a verification/certification letter from the university verifying the degree & student enrollment, or (ii) Foreign degree Equivalence Letter from HEC.
UNDP provides the Equal Opportunity for all equally qualified male & female including the physically challenged candidates, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply (local and internal VA)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) does not charge fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interviews, selection or induction etc. Moreover, UNDP does not concern itself with any information on the applicants bank accounts
"UNDP has zero tolerance towards Sexual Harassment (SH) and Sexual Exploitation & Abuse (SEA)”.